Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, November 06, 2006

Here's an editorial that I wrote in JPost:

The First Word: Sages of Israel - Take modernity by the horns
SUSAN WEISS, THE JERUSALEM POST
Nov. 3, 2006

On November 7 and 8, a cadre of Orthodox rabbinic judges is scheduled to come to Jerusalem from 15 countries to discuss the problem of agunot (women bound to dead Jewish marriages because their husbands refuse or can't deliver a bill of divorce to them). According to conference organizers, this is the first time in hundreds of years that the rabbis have convened for this purpose and they are expecting great things.

Wow, do I hope they succeed. But I guess I'm insulted. No one has asked me what I think. In fact, no woman - activist, aguna, home-maker or otherwise - is invited to be at the conference in any capacity, and certainly not being given an opportunity to air her views. So, in the hope that someone will bring this to the attention of the rabbis, let me tell you, and them, what I want, what I don't want and what will happen if I don't get what I want.

Read what I want and I don't want (the full article) at http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1162378319817&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
[ Back to the Article ]
Copyright 1995-2006 The Jerusalem Post - http://www.jpost.com/

No comments: